News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Sidmouth 23-33 Topsham

Sidmouth 23-33 Topsham

Henry Justice7 May - 18:25
Share via

Topsham secure Devon Intermediate Cup glory by winning a thriller

We played out yet another highly entertaining game with Sidmouth but unlike the previous two it was Topsham that came out on top. With a big crowd watching and a raucous travelling support behind us there was no doubt this was going to be a brilliant atmosphere regardless of the outcome. Despite this though it was the hosts who scored first, wasting no time in racing out to an early 8-0 lead. It took a good few minutes before we managed to have any regular ball time but when our chance came we seized it with both hands. Joe Cave scored our first as he reacted quickest to a chip over the top, this was swiftly followed by Batty powering over from close range following some nice work by the forwards. Our best try then followed, Dec Hadley led us on a counter attack from deep, his pass caught by Jack Perry who shipped it on to Max Harding for a third in the corner. Our 8-19 lead lasted less than a minute as Sidmouth hit straight back and then scored another just before the break to leave the score 18-19. There was no let up in the second period, our defence tested on numerous occasions as we hung onto our slender lead. After weathering the storm we worked our way back into the right part of the field. James Mattin's quickly taken penalty marched us towards the line and despite Sidmouth preventing the likes of Edbrooke and Inglis from going over we did eventually get our score when Hadley raced round from out wide. Once more though we were pegged back when Sidmouth scored their fourth, similar to us with some powerful forward play they secured the penalty before then attacking out wide with the advantage. Again though they were unable to convert and our lead stood at 23-26 with fifteen minutes remaining. Despite an improving penalty count compared to the first half we did concede two more, both of which gave them the chance to draw level. A first kick cannoned back off the post whilst their second from bang on half way drifted wide to leave us still leading. The killer blow was eventually landed by us though with five left on the clock. Set up wonderfully by an Austin Crow break we were awarded the penalty for some off the ball antics. Gibbs put us into the corner from where Robin Edbrooke secured a key lineout. Sidmouth halted our maul metres from the line but the waiting Lewis Webb at first receiver ensured we would not be denied twice. He powered his way through two tackles and dived over the whitewash to take the lead out to two scores. Tom Oxland took his time with the conversion before slotting it over. The hosts would have one final attack but the defence was resolute and the battle won. A superb Cup final came to an end and for the second year in a row Topsham are Devon Intermediate Cup Champions.
A massive thank you to all our supporters and sponsors on a brilliant season but also yesterday where numerous players noted how special the atmosphere was. Special thanks to Rodney Spiller Wealth Management Ltd for their generosity in ensuring the celebrations back at the club were well watered. And a special thanks to yesterdays hosts Sidmouth who played their part in a great day both on and off the field.

J.Cave, H.Batty, M.Harding, D.Hadley, L.Webb
J.Mattin x 3, T.Oxland

Further reading