Always a tricky issue, hopefully by being honest and clear from the start everyone will accept the decision of the coaches and captains.
The most important thing to understand is that we are a single squad of players from which two teams will be selected. There's no 'them' and 'us'. We want the club to keep a friendly atmosphere and whilst competition for places is a great thing we need to work hard to remember that we're all playing for the same club.
- If you train regularly then you stand a better chance of starting for 1st or 2nd XV.
- If you train regularly then you stand a better chance of being selected for the 1st XV. Having said that just because you train does not mean you will be selected. Selection of the first team involves considering a number of things. If a player we consider to be of sufficient quality to play for our 1st XV can't train for a decent reason that he clearly explains to the coaches then he will still be considered for selection.
- There are no cliques in this rugby club. Nobody will be selected just because they drink beer with the coaches or captains.
- We are blessed at Topsham RFC to have a 1st and 2nd XV. As a result we can almost guarantee that every player at the club will have the opportunity to play each week (assuming there is a game). This season there will be a number of weeks whereby the 1st XV do not have a game but the 2nd XV do. In this case it will be up to the 2nd XV captain to pick his side from the players available. If you have trained and played regularly for the seconds then you will be given priority.
- Any problems see the director of rugby, coaches or either of the team captains.